I hear it’s good luck to eat black-eyed peas and collard greens on New Year’s. We had ours a day late, but I’m sure whichever anthropomorphic personification in charge of Luck is okay with that.
- 1 15 oz can black-eyed peas
- 1 29 oz can small white beans (You could use all black-eyed peas, this is just what I had on hand.)
- 1 lb or so of left-over pork loin w/ salsa (Cooked for dinner the night before, tradition calls for a ham bone.)
- 1 bundle of fresh collard greens, washed and chopped
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (Or more. I kept it mild for the boys.)
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon McCormick’s Italian Seasoning mix
- 2 15-ounce cans of tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in slow cooker, and cook on low for about 6 or 7 hours. Serve hot with corn bread. It was AWESOME. Even the kids ate a bunch of it.