Argh, I have no inspiration for a blog post today, even though my desire to make a blog post is high. How does that even work? Anyway, I guess that means it’s time for a meme! Google led me to something called Sunday Seven on Patrick’s Place. Today: Seven Books I’d Like to Read in 2012. I guess that works, given that I’ve been poking around for something to read since I finished TFiOS Friday night. Here’s my seven:
1. World War Z by Max Brooks. I’ve had this loaded on my Kindle for a while, but had wanted to read Brains, A Zombie Memoir first. Since I finished that a couple of weeks ago, so I guess it’s time for WWZ.
2. The Clockwork Earth Trilogy by Jay Lake. I’d read the first book, Mainspring, a couple of years ago. It was SO GOOD, but I had kind of forgotten that he was writing sequels. But then I remembered! And so here it is on my list. (So, does that count as 3 more books? No, I will count it as one.)
3. The Terra Incognita Trilogy by Kevin J. Anderson. I read about the third book in a Big Idea post over on Whatever when it came out and it sounded like a real good time.
4. The Dervish House by Ian MacDonald. Another Big Idea from Whatever. I can’t remember what it’s about, but the write up must’ve been good because it’s been on my list for a while.
5. 2030 by Albert Brooks. Who doesn’t love a little dystopian comedy? And when you read it, you will read it in the voice of Nemo’s father!
6. Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. My bookselling friend read this over the summer and said it gave her nightmares. I mean, how could I not?
7. 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I am a shameless Stephen King fan. Evidently he had the idea for this book years and years ago, but felt like he needed to hone his craft before he could do the story justice (Under the Dome, too, which was excellent). I guess the time has come because here it is!
There’s a few more books on my To Read list, but those are definitely the top seven. How about you? What’s on your To Read list?
It’s Tuesday again so you know what that means, fair reader! It’s meme day! This week’s topic, from the ever lovely CaroleKnits, is 10 Favorite Non-Knitting Blogs. My list goes up to eleven. Eleven!!!!!11!!!!!!!
1. BipolarLawyerCook: She used to blog about being a lawyer, but has since mothballed her JD and taken a job in retail. Sometimes she posts poems. Also recipes. It’s always good.
2. Gluten Free Girl and the Chef: I started following her blog when I learned I was gluten intolerant (and likely have Celiac’s disease!). She writes beautifully and takes amazing pictures of food. What’s not to love?
4. Kate Harding: Kate Harding is a feminist who used to blog about Fat Acceptance and other stuff at Shapely Prose. When SP had sort of run its course, she started a personal blog about fat and other lefty feminist issues. I enjoy her writing very much.
5. Lesson’s Learned: My Totally Awesome Sister’s blog is really fantastic (when she’s blogging) and her posts never cease to make me proud to be her sister. Furthermore, I would read her blog even if I weren’t her sister.
6. My Cat is a Jerk: This is a blog that was really hilarious for a while but has gone quiet for a few months. You could probably read all 34 reasons in under an hour and laugh your ass off. Maybe she’ll even do another post one day.
7. Sleep Talkin’ Man: Adam’s nighttime ramblings recorded and posted on the blog by his wife Karen. Seriously? Best idea EVER.
8. The Rejectionist: LeR used to work for a literary agent (I think), rejecting author queries, but she very recently “did that thing which you should never, ever, ever do”. She quit her day job to write a book! Also, she’s a fabulous writer and her blog makes me laugh.
9. Tiger Beatdown: Another leftist feminist blog, well written. Team Tiger Beatdown is on top of the important issues.
10. Two Whole Cakes: A Fat Acceptance feminist blog, extremely well written. Lesley, is smart, funny, and sarcastic. Also, she’s fat. Sometimes her posts are a bit teal for my poor ADHD addled brain, but I still enjoy them very much. She also does a podcast with another Fat Acceptance blogger (TheRotund) which never ceases to educate and entertain.
11. Bonus! Whatever: John Scalzi is the author of Old Man’s War (if you haven’t read this series, GO NOW). His blog is funny, moving, and just an all around damn fine blog.
Not a bad list, and only one blog which has gone quiet over the last few months. You can read current posts from the feeds of all my favorite bloggers over in the side bar (just scroll down).
Happy Tuesday to all!
You had to know the memes were coming. It was only a matter of time, really. I’ve been following the Painted Sheep blog for a while and she does this Ten on Tuesday thing from Carole Knits so I figured, why the hell not? So here goes.
This week’s theme is 10 Favorite Oscar-winning movies. I tried (unsuccessfully) to keep it to Best Pictures only. So here they are, in order of release date:
- Gone With the Wind (Definitely one of my favorite movies of all time.)
- West Side Story (It has some of the best music to come out of the musical era of Hollywood.)
- Amadeus (Always made me wonder how close to real life the move was.)
- Rain Man (the height of my Tom Cruise crush. I’m over him now, but back then? Yum-my!)
- Dances With Wolves (Back when Kevin Costner was cool.)
- Silence of the Lambs (Oh Anthony Hopkins, you were so delightfully and frightfully evil!)
- American Beauty (An all around great movie.)
- Chicago (First musical to win since Oliver!)
- Slumdog Millionaire (The contrasts in this movie were so striking and the tale was artfully told.)
- Ingourious Basterds (The only one on my list that wasn’t a Best Picture win. Which is too bad, really. It was a really amazing movie!)
We love movies in our house and we watch a lot of them. Not all Oscar quality movies either, hah! What Oscar winners are your favorites?
Remember the Desktop Meme? This is what mine looks like right now.
What are you looking at?
The other day I heard about this meme and I was like “ZOMG, HOW COME NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS?!?!?” Here’s my version:
I forgot to post this yesterday!
Go to the wiki entry for your birthday and post the following:
1568 Mary Queen of Scots flees to england
1866 Root beer invented
1965 SpaghettiOs introduced
Happy birthday to me and long live SpaghettiOs!